quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Friday, July 15, 2011

Love isn't love 'til you give it away.

Tonight is my baby sister's Tool and Gadget party.
She is getting married in less than a month.
My baby sister.
Getting married.
It just doesn't seem like she should be old enough for that yet...

I know, I know...
we're not that different in age, only two years, but still...
she's my baby sister,
and she's getting married.

Luckily, she's getting married to a wonderful man.
I can rightfully say that I will have the best brother-in-law in the whole wide world in less than a month.

It's just surreal.

They don't know it yet, but I put a quote in their card that I wrote for them tonight:

"A bell's not a bell 'til you ring it.  A song's not a song 'til you sing it.  Love in your heart wasn't put there to stay.  Love isn't love 'til you give it away." - Oscar Hammerstein


To me, that's a pretty powerful thing because, when you think about it...
can you really call something love until you are able to give it away to someone or something?

You can say all day long that you love someone, but until you truly show them that you love them, until you give your love to them...
...well...
...THAT is the day that love truly becomes love, when you have someone to share it with and give it to.

They have found that in each other.  They give their love to each other every single day, and it's wonderful to watch as a big sister.
To know that she is going to be truly happy with someone for the rest of her life.
It's wonderful.


As for me... I've found my happiness, and I'm working on the giving the love away part...
yes, yes I am.  ;)

2 comments:

  1. That quote is on the back of Bells thank you cards... it has evolved in to my favorite depiction of her nickname.

    Love,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of stole it from you. :) and I think about Bells every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete