quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Clean up, clean up, everybody, everywhere...

I feel like I should be on a constant binge...
...a cleaning binge, that is...
I spent my entire day today, just about, cleaning.

Washing clothes,
picking things up and getting them into place,
folding clothes,
getting rid of things.

Kind of reminds me of life...
we're constantly cleaning up after ourselves, whether it's because of literally dirtying up our homes or because we've made a mess out of our lives.  The thing that gets me thinking is this:

If we're so aware that we're going to have to clean up afterward, why do we continue to make the mess(es) in the first place??

...and my answer?

Because we can't help it.
Life gets in the way.  Life happens.
Things get messy sometimes, whether we intend for them to or not, and we just have to take a step back, breathe deep, and pick up the pieces.


Sometimes picking up the pieces simply means you fold the clothes and put them up, or wash the dishes, or throw away the trash that we've accumulated... and sometimes it means figuring out ways to make your life feel normal again because something hasn't gone quite the way you've planned it.

Either way, we're all on a constant cleaning binge... because no one is perfect, nor were we intended to be.

...and boy, do I hate cleaning!
...but if it means a better life (even by simply making my surroundings cleaner), then I'll do it again whenever I get the chance in this busy, busy thing we call life.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment