quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Like the love of a small child.

I've been contemplating this blog for the past week, and I haven't been able to get more than a sentence or two in before finally succumbing to my procrastination and removing all trace of any blogging...

...but now?

The time is on me, and I can't avoid it any longer.
It's now or never.
(or cry rivers as grand as the Nile after tomorrow)
...so here goes...


I'll love you forever.
My baby sister is getting married in two days.  For twenty-two years (give or take, what with the college thing and all), she has lived literally one room away.  We have one wall between our rooms... one of those "if these walls could talk" moments.  Ironically enough, we've actually wound up switching rooms throughout the years, and she has wound up with the slightly larger room.  I've loved her from the day she was born - although, I don't really remember that day because I was only two - but I can imagine.  The love of a small child is so elaborate.  Love comes naturally for a child.  So if I love her so much now, I can only imagine what my love for her when we were children was like... and loving someone for a lifetime is what forever is all about.

I'll love you for always.
Lord knows we've had our ups and downs.  At times, I would say that I haven't been the best big sister in the world, but I have loved her.  No matter what.  Oddly, at times, I have been the one looking up to a sibling.  I've looked up to my baby sister, perhaps more than she's looked up to me.  I'm not sure... I can't speak for her, but I do know that I am beyond proud of the young woman that she has turned out to be.  It took nearly seventeen years before we were able to become more than just sisters but also friends, but now?  Now we're both... and we always will be.

As long as I'm living,
As long as I'm living, my hope for her will be happiness.  I believe that she has found that in her fiance`.  They compliment each other, and he is able to somehow handle our crazy-wonderful-dramatic family... anyone who can do that (and fit right into it all) can handle anything thrown at them 'cause we are beyond a handful, that's for sure.  The two of them have purchased a beautiful house in a wonderful neighborhood and have high hopes for their future... I pray that their hopes and their love for each other will turn that house into a home and provide them with an adventure called life that includes each other and their love until the day that they go home to God.

my baby sister you'll be.
I suddenly realized upon typing that last bit that I used this same childhood story when I wrote about my Peppy.  I suppose it's one childhood bedtime story that will forever stick with me... and my sister is one giant childhood memory that I'll never forget either.  Her room will always be the one next to mine, and her heart will always be a part of mine.  We're sisters.  Nothing can take that away.  I will be forever thankful for the wonderful person that God put in my life as my sister, my confidant... my friend. 


I cannot imagine having spent my life growing up with a different little sister, and I would never want to try to do so... she's perfect just the way she is (even if we do drive each other crazy from time to time).  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment