quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Monday, February 7, 2011

Alzheimer's rears it's ugly head.

You know,
I get frustrated at myself for forgetting things.

All.
the.
time.

but then I get around my grandfather (my Peppy), and I feel so fortunate to be able to remember even the smallest of details.

You see, he has Alzheimer's, and it gets worse every day.

Although it has made me appreciate my time with him that much more, it has also made me dread the time that I am with him because I know a couple of things about each visit before I even get there:


                    He will tell me the same story more than once.
     
                                       He will  forget my name AT LEAST once while I'm with him.

       He will make up stories.
        
                              He will talk about people being "keepers"
                              and tell me multiple times how cute his dog is.

                                            He will share he woes and upsets with me.

                       He will curse directly at me (more than once).

                 He will forget who my parents are.

                                                                      He will spill food.

                             He will make up some crazy story about something random.

                                                                  He will get angry about something.



There's also one more thing that I know will happen every single time, though:

He will tell me that he loves me (generally more than once).


It just seems unfair that he has to forget me - and all of my other family members,
that he has to forget all the memories he's made over the years.

But...

If it wasn't for this situation, would I appreciate the times that he does remember my name and that he does tell me that he loves me?


Something tells me I wouldn't.
(not the way that I do now, anyway)

No comments:

Post a Comment