quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Friday, February 18, 2011

(A Conversation) in the Life of Peppy

My mom braved the craziness that is my grandfather today,
and sat with him while my grandmother did some things.

She sent me the following texts,
so I thought I would share with everyone what a conversation with Pep is like.

(Keep in mind that while none of this makes sense...
it was all said in the exact same conversation.
Sometimes even in the exact same breath or sentence.)

(no, really)


@ 12:16 p.m.:
"You know, there was a time I remember
- for reasons unknown -
then I woke up, and it was all over. 
No questions asked!...
You know, my dad was very strict at meal time.


@ 12:18 p.m.:
That's why I always sit up straight at the table,
and never feed an animal at the table! 
And don't get in trouble."


@ 12:35 p.m.
"You know, to me,
it's intriguing when you come up behind 'em
and know you've been there before...
do you see that black cloud? 
I've seen one, one time before..."


(kind of funny, right?)  :)

The thing is...
you think you get it.
You think you understand the magnitude of it.
You think that by reading about it, you'll be prepared.

...but the truth is
- you're not. -
...and there's no way you ever will be.

We've been dealing with this for five years now,
and it still hits me like a ton of bricks...
every.
single.
time.


I know it never gets easier,
I know it only gets worse from here,
and I know I can never prepare myself for what is to come.

At the same time, though,
I like not knowing
because, if I knew,
I would spend every day wondering when the most horrible day would come.


By not knowing or being able to prepare,
guess what I get to do??


I get to laugh
and enjoy
my grandfather
and the time
that I get
to spend
with him.


...and that?

That beats the heck out of knowing.
ANY DAY.
(nod)

:)

2 comments:

  1. Lindi, I happened upon your blog by reading about your engagement on your moms (we wen to HS together) FB page. I LOVE Peppyisms and I know how much you all miss him. I lost both of my parents w/in the last 5 yrs....keep this as a journal of sorts for your babies b/c one day, you'll be having a convo w/them and out w/pop a "Peppyism"!

    ReplyDelete