quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Simply goodbye.

I should totally be packing up the car right now...

...but instead I'm sitting here on the couch, procrastinating.

Tomorrow is my last official day at work,
my last official day living in Gulf Breeze.

Tomorrow when I get off work at approximately 4:00 P.M.,
I will exit Kids Discovery Learning Center,
get in my car,
and proceed to drive from Gulf Breeze, Florida to Birmingham, Alabama.

(and yes, I will more than likely cry periodically on the way there)


I still haven't figured out how to say goodbye tomorrow...
...and I've succumb to the fact that I probably won't know how.

...not even when the time comes.


I will simply hug my friends and kiss my babies,
and leave.

(sigh)

Just like I have every other day.

This time there will be tears as I realize that this will be the last time I see most of the babies for possibly the rest of their lives (and yes, I know that they won't remember me, but that's not the point.).

This time I will be saying goodbye, not 'see you Monday!'.

This time I will be leaving (and not coming back)...

...but this time will also not be the last time that I will be seeing them.

It's not goodbye forever.
It's simply goodbye.

So, for now, I will quit procrastinating and go pack.


...and tomorrow, I will simply say goodbye and smile...
...for (as hard as it will be to believe in the moment) God really does have a fabulous plan for what happens next.  :)

(and I smile, timidly)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not good at goodbyes either. I tend to pretend they aren't even happening... :(

    ReplyDelete