quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Thursday, March 10, 2011

A really good thing.

In 4 days, I will be going back to re-visit the place that I lived for 5 months at the end of last year.
The place that changed my life.  Forever.
The place that gave me new meaning to my own life.
The people that touched me in ways that they never knew.

In 4 days, I will be smiling - for 5 hours straight - as I drive from Hueytown, Alabama, to the Pensacola, Florida area.

I will be taking my 2 mixed CD's and my 1 surprise bonus CD (Frou Frou) from Mrs. Paula Sides, and I will be driving... and driving.

And I can't wait.  :)


So, at some point in the next couple of days, I will be packing.
Again.
To go to the place that has changed my life more than any other.


This time, though?  This time I will be going in as a different (and better) person.
That alone excites me to no end.
      [I don't even think I know the girl that moved to Gulf Breeze last August anymore.]
           [but that's a good thing - a really good thing]

When I first started my blog, I wrote about things that had changed in my life.

 
 
It's strange to look back on those things, those changes, because that's not me anymore.  I wouldn't be afraid of change now.  I wouldn't be worried about making friends...
 
it's like in 'Sex & the City' when Carrie is getting ready to move to Paris - she says "Today I had a thought.  What if I... what if I had never met you?"
 
 
 
There's not a more touching statement to me... because... if I hadn't met the people I have over the years, I wouldn't be where I am.  If I hadn't made the friends I did when I moved, I wouldn't have learned the things about life, love, and happiness.
 
I wouldn't have learned that a baby's smile can light up my day...
...or that optimism is a result of your outlook on life...
      (if you want to be happy, you'll be willing to do whatever it takes to stay that way)
...or that a 7-year-old has the capability to touch not only your heart but also your mind...
...or that getting up early and going to work only makes your day bad that much better...
...or that staying up late watching movies like "500 Days of Summer" with a good friend can give you more clarity than perhaps was intended...
...or that even though you live at the beach, that doesn't mean you will actually go to the beach...
...or that life?
 
Well, it really is what you make of it.  :)

2 comments:

  1. ...and I wouldn't know that something as simple as an act of desperation can turn into one of my greatest friendships.

    I am so glad you offered to come over that night when I rushed into the daycare near tears and I'm even more glad you stuck around and listened to me ramble about whatever it was I rambled about.

    I needed a friend like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I needed a friend like you. :)

    People come into our lives for reasons, some bigger than others. I like to think that you (and your family) are one of my big reasons.

    (yes, yes I do)

    Only thing I would change would be to have offered to keep your girls far sooner than I did (but then... perhaps that wasn't part of the big plan, right??) ;)

    ReplyDelete