quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Friday, March 18, 2011

Spring Break - lessons learned.

I need to write.

I've been having that thought since Monday night, but I have continued to put it off for some reason.

Tonight, though, as I read Water for Elephants,
      (one of the best books I've read in a long, long time)
I realized for some strange reason that it was time.
Time to stop putting it off, and just do it.


I've had a wonderful Spring Break, even though I didn't leave the state.

I spent Monday night with one of my best friends, Haley.
We cooked dinner,
drank wine,
and destroyed dishes (on accident)...
...wanna see?














(They should clearly label dishes that aren't oven-safe is all I'm saying...)



Tuesday night, I went to see "Rango" with some truly amazing new friends,
who I thoroughly enjoy spending time with.
It was very cute, but totally not child-friendly.
Who ever decided that it should be was... well...
high (or something to that effect).


Wednesday night, I went and met my very best friend, Hannah.
(and her beautiful sister, Natalie, and even more beautiful niece, Charlotte)
We had sushi - which is, without a doubt, one of my favorite things in the world -
and went to see "Red Riding Hood"
which was also a pretty good movie.
     (Hannah's new fav, not mine, but still good in my opinion)


After that, I've just been working, but...
...I learned some things this week, and I thought I'd share.

I learned:

that glass breaks at 350 degrees

              that ovens will catch fire on self-clean

      that best friends can, in fact, play slip-n-slide in their own kitchens
         [especially when it's raining out]

that making new friends (again) is AWESOME
    [even if the movies you see always make you laugh in ways they possibly shouldn't] ;)

                        that sushi and conversations with very best friends ALWAYS
                        makes your heart smile :)

                                           that candy from the Dollar Tree tastes just as good in
                                           the movie theater as the candy they sell there
               
                               that glass breaks at 350 degrees

that life without up's and down's, without mistakes, 
without broken glass, 
without homemade slip-n-slides (unintentional or not),
without sneaking candy into the movie theater,
without sushi and heart-to-hearts,
without new friends...

...is no life at all.


I like the mess-ups.
I think I'll keep 'em.

And as for this seemingly uneventful Spring Break??
(to most people, anyway)

I think I'll keep it, too, because
at the end of the day
I've learned more this week than I have in a long, long time.

And that, in and of itself, makes me happy.

I know one thing for certain,
and I'll never forget:

Glass breaks at 350 degrees.

but life sure is intriguing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment