quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Are your thoughts results of static cling?

An epiphany, maybe.
or maybe just the product of thoughts producing other thoughts.
(I suppose some thoughts really are the result of static cling.)
(yes, yes they are)

I'm not sure, but I do know that things
-are not- as complicated as we sometimes make them.

Sometimes, we just need to stop, take a deep breath, and realize that life has a funny way of making things work out just the way that they are supposed to.
(and sometimes we don't always get what we want.)

Those times that we don't get everything that we want...
...those are the times that we have to take those deep breaths and learn to deal.

Life is full of unexpected twists and turns.
There's no way to know what will happen tomorrow,
or the day after that,
or the day after that,
or the day after that...
(I think you get my point.)

We have to take each day for what it is-
another day that we are alive and breathing, another day that we have been blessed with, another day to love the life that we live.

I have recently been listening to more music from my friend, Paula, and for some reason here lately, one song in particular has stuck out to me.


(give it a listen - and I attached some of the lyrics)




Details in the Fabric

Calm down
Deep breaths
And get yourself dressed
Instead of running around
And pulling all your threads
And breaking yourself up
 If it's a broken part, replace it
If it's a broken arm, then brace it
If it's a broken heart, then face it
 And hold your own
Know your name
And go your own way
 Hold your own
Know your name
And go your own way
And everything will be fine
 Hang on
Help is on the way
And stay strong
I'm doing everything
 Hold your own
Know your name
And go your own way
 And everything
Everything, it will be fine
Everything
 All the details in the fabric?
Are the things that make you panic?
Are your thoughts results of static cling?
 Are the things that make you blow?
Hell, no reason, go on and scream
If you're shocked it's just the fault
of faulty manufacturing
 Everything will be fine
Everything in no time at all
Everything




I act as if I don't know why this song would stick out for me right now...
...but there's reasons.
There's always reasons.
...just like there's always reasons for everything that happens in life.

Currently, I'm practicing just living and letting things just be.
I can't change anything that I don't have control over.
Instead, I pray for patience.
(and so far, God has been very generous with it - he is teaching me this virtue quite well.)

He has also blessed me with an amazing friend with amazing musical tastes, who has so generously shared with me - in more ways than one - about life, love, happiness, and different ways in which to achieve, find, and recognize all of these things.

Sometimes, people don't understand or know how to just be happy...
...and it's quite a shame.

Happiness can be quite contagious, if you think about it, just like smiling.
You see someone happy (or smiling) and it generally makes you happy (or smile).

Sometimes, instead of trying to mess up someone else's happiness just because our lives aren't going quite the way we want them to, maybe we should learn to just let people be, just let them be happy.

(and I nod)

...just let it be contagious and fuel us to find our own happiness.

(yep - and I think that's enough of that spill for tonight.)

:)

2 comments:

  1. I like where you're going with this (and obviously I love the song you're hung up on)...

    Breathing is good. I teach all the kids how to take deep breaths and clear their head (or just release a little anger - either one). Ruth still gives people pause when I tell her, "Hey, just take a deep breath." and she actually STOPS and takes a deep breath. It fixes a lot.

    :D

    I wish there was someone following me around to remind me to take deep breaths...

    ...and on that note: something you said up there makes me want to say this...

    People aren't always trying to mess up our happiness - they, quite honestly may be so caught up in their own sadness, madness, craziness, or whatevers to not even realize they're having a negative effect on you. It took me a long time to realize the entire world was not out to ruin me (only perhaps .00000002612%) they simply have no idea.

    The nerve of them for being oblivious to my feelings!

    Anyhow... that's why I'm responsible for my own smiles and, when they happen, blue moods. Turns out, I control my awesomeness all the time.

    If I let the crazy, maddening, saddening, lazy, ridiculous people bother me - isn't that my fault? I don't look the other way or turn the other cheek... (okay, sometimes I do ignore them because -seriously?-)

    It's like the other night, when Ruth and her friend were acting like crazed animals... well, it was two hours after bedtime. We were at dinner in someone else's house and they have much different (more flexible) rules. We'd told the girls it was time to wind down.

    The mom turned the tv on and told them to lay down and watch it. She then couldn't understand why they were jumping up and down, dancing, and singing... and she was about to yell at them.

    ummmm... You tell three wired little girls to watch "Yo, Gabba, Gabba" and that's what "Yo Gonna Get" is all I'm saying.

    I changed the channel and they fell asleep in ten minutes.

    (there's a point)

    We can glance at something and let it make us mad or blame it for not being what it is supposed to be or we can take a moment and look a little closer and do something (or sometimes stop doing something) that will allow it to become what we want, need, or asked for.

    ...Oh and sometimes we can't do anything at all because we really don't have the power to control other people. And that's when I get in my car with my cds and drive around until I can forgive them for being an individual.

    (Do you think I talk too much?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (No, I do not think you talk to much.)

    You're right - about all of it - and coincidentally, some of the things you were saying were the things I was TRYING to say but didn't quite get there:

    When we think people are messing up our own happiness, they truly don't realize it most of the time. They are caught in their own misery. (like I said earlier today - misery does love company, doesn't it?)

    Not having control is not the most fun thing in the world, but there's always a way to handle it (i.e. driving around in your car with your cd's blaring until you feel like you can forgive someone for being themselves - even if that 'self' isn't what we think it should be).

    And ignoring the problem... sometimes it can't be done because it's not the "right" thing to do, but ultimately? Ultimately it's about being the bigger person. Taking control and not giving them the power to make your life miserable or unhappy.

    You create your own smiles (and, like you said, your own blue moods). No can stop you from doing that. No matter how hard - or unknowingly - they try. :)

    ReplyDelete