quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Friday, January 7, 2011

...on winding down.

I was going to write about responsibility today.

It's true.

I even made a note in my journal while I was at school.

Somehow, after I got home and had multiple conversations with my 93-year-old great-grandfather, writing about responsibility just didn't seem so pertinent. 


He's one of the most spectacular men I have ever met.

He was married to the same woman for a very, very long time.
(and she was a mean old bird sometimes!)

In his younger days, he used to run moonshine.
(but he has never drank any alcohol in his life - no joke.)

He had a hand in creating my grandfather, Toppy, which inadvertently created my father.
(who is the second greatest man I have ever known)

He has been a mechanic for his entire life.

He has been all by himself for about 10 years now but has never let anything slow him down.


My sister was talking to him tonight and he said to her:
"It's just part of life, but (uh) I realize my time is winding down..."

(gulp)

Joie then immediately cut him off for the pain of hearing the end of that sentence was probably far more than she or I could bare.
.
..
...
....
...
..
.
...I never thought I would see the day.
(even though logically I knew it would come eventually.)

It's just...
...how do you say goodbye to one of the best men that God has ever put on this Earth?


I don't even think my brain can process that right now.

PawPaw needs prayers.
...and so do we.

That's about all I can handle right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment