quote

"I felt a nice, fresh breeze a moment ago. Where has it gone to?"
- Tennessee Williams, in 'The Glass Menagerie'

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The First Problem.

Life... is about learning.
It's about taking the necessary steps,
to make mistakes,
to learn from them.

(at least that's what I've always thought)

...and then... I found this:















...hmm...

...so, how do we "unlearn" when we've been taught our entire lives to first do and then learn (and retain)?

It's also ironic and interesting that I stumbled upon this very page in a book at the bookstore at UAB today because something very similar to this was said to me today.

Someone I know is both learning and unlearning things right now.
(and it's hard.)

Well... what is your take on "unlearning?," you may ask.

(...well... I don't mind telling you at all.)  ;)
(no, I do not.)


"Unlearning," to me, is more about learning to let go:
to let go of all the things we've known, the things we've practiced, the things we've become...
but not all at the same time.

We take the situation(s) at hand,
we evaluate them,
and we make whatever necessary changes the situation(s) merrit.

We might change things and begin to "unlearn" them, but we don't change entirely.

By unlearning things, we become different (and often better) versions - of ourselves.

The trick to unlearning, in my opinion,
is remembering not to "go it alone."

It's always important to have that person to lean on,
                                    that shoulder to cry on,
                                    that emotional rock,
                                    that person to make you smile
                                                (even when it's the rainiest of days)...


THOSE are the times that we learn what people mean to us - and what we mean to other people.

THOSE are the moments when we begin to "unlearn"
...and ultimately re-learn all over again.
(...ironic?  I think not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment